Friday, July 26, 2013

Meet Your First Book - Greater Lansing Board Member: Paul

Name:  Paul Harmon
Age:  30
Hometown:  Leslie, MI
Education:  B.A., Telecommunications, Michigan State University 

One of the most important things that we do at First Book - Greater Lansing is to go out to the community and raise awareness about illiteracy among disadvantaged children. 

Additionally, we'd like you to learn a about each of the advisory board members.  They are working hard to break barriers and get books into the hands of the children that need them the most. 

The second person in our “meet the board” series that we'd like to introduce you to is the board chair-elect, Paul Harmon.  Paul was born and raised in the Lansing area, so he knows the mid-Michigan landscape very well.  This regional knowledge has been very useful to the board in determining specific areas of need in the community as well as historical information.  Paul has been an active volunteer for several organizations in the Lansing area that help those in need (e.g. Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity) and saw a chance with First Book to continue his drive to give back to the community.  Growing up in Leslie has also made him passionate about ensuring organizations and programs don’t forget about rural areas for funding and aid.  Below, Paul talks about books and his role with First Book - Greater Lansing.


What was your favorite book growing up and why?

Though I had several “favorite” books, the first book that I remember reading and carrying around with me everywhere was the great Dr. Seuss’s Green Eggs and Ham. The combination of the whimsical rhymes and wacky characters and art work stuck with me.  I can remember pulling it out on rainy days to escape the walls of the house, or sitting on my grandpa’s lap and proudly reading each page and enjoying a laugh.  I believe Dr. Seuss’s books are great for keeping a child engaged while sneaking in some pretty important life lessons and moral issues.
What is your favorite genre to read?

I would classify myself as a fiction freak.  I have always enjoyed creative writing more than a history book, though I have read some fascinating biographies that seem like they could be fiction! In high school and college I was hooked on books like Lord of the Flies, 1984 and the Catcher in the Rye.  Currently I find myself reaching for authors with a comedic flare to their stories, David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs to name a couple.

Why did you join First Book – Greater Lansing?

I have volunteered for several other organizations in the Lansing area and I saw it as a way to be involved from the ground up with an organization with a great mission.  I used to love my weekly trip to the library to exchange my books for new ones, and I want to be part of something that ensures every child has the same access to books.  I believe that reading can have one of the largest impacts on the development of a child and future academic success. 
What's your role on the First Book - Greater Lansing Advisory Board?        

As chair-elect of the advisory board, I am pretty much back up for everything the chair does, so I am a Jack of all Trades so to say.  The main skills that I try to bring to the advisory board are networking, relationship building, strategic planning and local knowledge.

What type of impact do you feel First Book can have in the area?

Growing up in and around Lansing I have seen the economy rollercoaster over the years.  Though I think we are in a period of upswing, the amount of need in the community over the past few years has increased dramatically.  When times are tough buying books for your children is not really an option, so I am excited that our organization will be in a position to provide that resource for children in the Greater Lansing area. 

What has been your favorite part of volunteering with First Book – Greater Lansing so far?

I would have to say meeting people who also share the same passion for volunteering and the desire to get books into the hands of children in need.  We had the opportunity in May to appear on a PBS Radio program that features local groups and had a great time telling the First Book story.  The amount of feedback we received in the following week really proved to me that the mission of First Book - Greater Lansing is right and needed at this time for the community.

Tell us a something about yourself that isn't related to reading or First Book.
 
Something about me…well in a few short months I will be marrying the love of my life!  One of the things my fiancé and I love to do is go hiking.  We are currently planning a couple of awesome hikes, one in the Upper Peninsula and another in Kentucky.  We are planning on hiking and camping along the pictured rocks trail along the shore of Lake Superior and at the same time we are also planning a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky for later this fall/winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment